Thursday, May 11, 2017

How to fast to lose fat.....

Today's post:  Thursday, 5-11-2017

How to make fasting or intermittent fasting work for fat loss:

Research reported in Medical News Today has clues.


In this study, one group was given very strict guidelines for just eating less each day.

The other group was told to fast; but was on their own to manage the process.

The strict guidelines for eating less every day group lost more weight at the end of the study than the intermittent fasting group did.

But that’s not very helpful.  Eating less every day is no fun.  And once you stop doing so, the fat and weight come back.  In addition, this tends to increase your appetite and reduce your energy AND it gives most of the participants no self-management skills for effective fat loss.

This study didn’t last that long to show these things but others have shown just these effects.

But the other group while it lost less on average DID show some interesting effects.  And, since it was self-managed, those people who did best with it wound up with the self-management skills to use it to lose fat they could keep off.

So this study provided some answers to this question:

Is alternate-day fasting more effective for weight loss?

Only if 3 things happen:

1.  It's actually done on a very controlled basis which can be MUCH easier with a coach or comparable program that is consistently used.

2.  In the study, the people fasting who did poorly took in too many calories and carbs during the fast. 

So, to lose fat effectively on a fast, the bone broth and MCT oil and any small amounts of grass fed butter for coffee or the bone broth need to be low & precisely measured to avoid creeping up higher.  And, there must be zero sugars or other carbohydrates. 

(That happened to me when I did a 12 day fast.  The first 5 days I did it correctly and lost several pounds.  During that next 7 days I ate a bit too much grass fed butter with the bone broth and gained, repeat gained, weight while otherwise fasting.)


So this research and my experience shows that a shorter fast with good portion control is effective while if the portion control is poor even longer fasts can be ineffective.

3.  In the study, the people fasting who did poorly took in too many calories and carbs during the first week of recovery.

(In my week for not pressing to lose fat, I normally have some dark chocolate with sugar a few times and I have organic raisins in my breakfast four days a week.  And I have dark molasses in my coffee once and in my breakfast once.

The two times I fasted and then had this recovery week right afterwards, the intake of too many sugars and carbs DID cause me to gain all the weight back that I’d lost during my week of fasting.)

So the findings in this study and BulletProof’s Dave Asprey’s advice to have the recovery week be low carb and free of added sugars and dried fruit are correct.

4.  It’s clear that having a coach or interactive coaching program online to ensure these things go right the first few times to teach the person losing fat to self manage this is also essential.

5.  And, a way to boost metabolism during both fasting and recovery and ongoing, would also help!

Our series of posts on ways to boost your metabolism has information on several techniques that work to do this.

I’m looking forward to seeing if the BulletProof vibe, vibrating platform does boost my metabolism an extra 11% besides those techniques and seeing if it’s safe to use.

For many people the information here and in our previous posts will be enough to help them lose fat they keep off.


But if I find the BulletProof vibe does add another 11% too, that will be significant good news. 

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I?m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that?s both educative
and interesting, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
I am very happy I found this in my hunt for something regarding this.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I simply wanted to thank you yet again for the amazing website you have made here.
It truly is full of useful tips for those who are truly
interested in this kind of subject, primarily this very post.

You really are all really sweet along with thoughtful of others
as well as reading the blog posts is a superb delight to me.
And what generous treat! Tom and I really have pleasure
making use of your guidelines in what we should
do in a few weeks. Our collection of ideas is a kilometer long and tips will
certainly be put to beneficial use.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I genuinely enjoy examining on this web site, it holds superb content.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to forever get updated outstanding website!

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider something genuinely special in this website.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home