Thursday, October 19, 2017

Your metabolic rate and fatloss.....

Today's post:  Thursday, 10-19-2017

How measuring your metabolic rate and increasing it make fatloss much more doable:

The study of people who have lost over 30 pounds they have kept off found that the average person who has does about 2800 calories a week of exercise or a bit more.

The separate studies of levels of exercise have shown that the sweet spot for best results is about 3500 calories a week.

(A bit more than that can also be OK for young, fit people.  But more than a little bit more than that tends to get LESS good health results.  It also begins to take too much time for people who want a life outside of exercise.)

Many studies of both men and women have found that the exercises that slow aging, reduce disease, help you keep your memory and reasoning power AND help lose and keep off fat, combine strength training, brief but vigorous cardio, and short walks or dancing.

I’ve known this and have been averaging 1700 to 1800 calories a week of strength training, brief but vigorous cardio, and short brisk walks.

There are several things I know would enable me to double that amount of calories from exercise that I plan to add when I can do so.

Those of you who have read my monthly fatloss posts know the ones I plan to add.

Thinking about this, I wondered how much it will help my fatloss efforts when I can do so.

Then I just found a new Medical News Today article about your basal metabolic rate and how it can aid fatloss.

ttps://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319731.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MNT%20Daily%20Full%20%28non-HCP%20US%29%202017-10-18&utm_term=MNT%20Daily%20News%20%28non-HCP%20US%29

"The number of calories burned each day is directly linked to weight loss, weight gain, or weight maintenance.

For a person to lose weight, they must burn more calories than they take in, creating a calorie deficit. But, to do this, they need to know how many calories they burn each day."

[Once the basic calculation is done using your gender, age, height, and current weight to get the calories you burn each day, you multiply by how active you are to get the actual calories you burn on the average each day:  ]

"The results of the BMR calculation are then used to multiply....the average daily activity of the person. Points are awarded based on how active a person is.

Points for activity levels are as follows:

1.2 points for a person who does little to no exercise

1.37 points for a slightly active person who does light exercise 1 - 3 days a week
1.55 points for a moderately active person who performs moderate exercise 3 - 5 days a week

1.725 points for a very active person who exercises hard 6 - 7 days a week
1.9 points for an extra active person who either has a physically demanding job or has a particularly challenging exercise routine

When the BMR is calculated and the activities points are determined, the two scores are multiplied. The total is the number of calories burned on an average day."

"For those who do not wish to make the calculations themselves, there are a range of calorie calculators available online. Most use a similar formula to work out calories burned."


My calculations show that taking steps to slow aging and keeping my muscles working as if they were much younger and adding muscle and exercising more by adding more strength training and  two short sessions of trampoline cardio and about half an hour a day vibe use could almost double my calories burned each day.

Since I do about half that now I likely burn 2200 calories and could raise that to about 3,000

In my current decently active week I should multiply these by at least 1.4; & for the very active one I plan by 1.9.

I listed my age as 73, male gender & 5'7" & 170 pounds and got 1475 cal per day/ x1.4 = 2065. 

So I burn at least 2065 calories a day now.

My first calculation is already a bit low for the reasons I list next; and adding the exercises I plan to add can boost it quite a bit.  I have reason to believe this will result in a 1.9 multiplier. 

(Use of the Bulletproof Vibe every day after dinner plus exercising on it plus using the heavier weights at the gym will add muscle and also burn calories.)

Because of the strength training and brisk walking and vigorous cardio I already do plus the anti-aging supplements I take, my real age for exercise and metabolism is already about 56 instead of the chronological 73 on the calendar. 

I also am closer to the 1.65 level of exercise now.

I’d also be taller if I hadn’t gotten a “shell back” from reading looking down and sitting too much.  Since there is reason to believe I can reverse this, when I do, I’ll again be about 5’8”.

So to see what the results would be using that information AND listing my goal weight,

I listed my age as 56, male gender, & 5'8' & 161 pounds & got BMR = 1,535 Calories/day / x 1.9 = 2916

That’s almost enough more calories burned each day to produce the fatloss that would put me at my goal weight! 

But I’ll likely also need to do two lower carb days each week and two cut down weeks each month to ensure that result.  (I already eat high protein, lower carb meals now; but I allow myself some health OK extra carbs in addition some days each week.)

The authors of the MNT article said this:

“..weight-lifting, indirectly leads to a higher BMR because it builds muscle mass, increasing resting energy consumption. The more muscle mass in the physical composition of an individual, the higher the BMR required to sustain their body at a certain level.

The daily caloric need is the BMR value multiplied by a factor with a value between 1.2 and 1.9, depending on activity level.”

I do strength training sessions now that total 120 minutes.  By adding an hour on each Saturday of the heavy compound exercises Mike Matthews recommends, I’ll be doing three of the four hours a week he finds works best. Using the upgrade of the style I’ve posted on, I think I’ll get comparable muscle and strength building results to what most people do in four hours.

By adding two ten minute sessions a week on a trampoline each week, I’ll also get the amount of vigorous cardio each week he recommends.

Using the Bulletproof vibe several evenings a week to help pump the fluid out of my legs from sitting at my work and one half hour session a week exercising on it, I’ll burn more calories.

And, by doing all three, I’ll be at the 1.9 multiplier level.

How do you score now?

Is there a way doable for you to get dumbbells to strength train at home and/or do heavier weight strength training at a gym for the balance of three or four hours total?

Can you already do jump rope well or safely get and use a trampoline? Just 10 minutes a session with those three times a week can get you in great shape and burn extra calories. 

(With a trampoline you have to work a bit to be sure to stay safe; but it’s lower impact and seems easier than jumping rope fast; but is just as effective!)

Can you fit in a brisk walk of 6 or 7 minutes four times a week?

Can you go dancing or practice it a few times a week?

Can you take Capoeira classes? (“Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance, acrobatics and music.”)

The Bulletproof Vibe costs a bit over $1500.  But it’s reasonably quiet and many have found it effective.


Could you try one to see how it works for you?    

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home