Thursday, August 03, 2017

Add muscle and lose fat.....

Today's post:  Thursday, 8-3-2017

Last week I posted on information and ideas for using very low carb and reduced protein and a high intake of good fats to lose fat.

When I tried this combined with fasting I gained back the weight and any fat I lost.  And, although I did gain back the strength and possibly muscle I lost, I was not favorably impressed with the results of doing this for fat loss. Nor did it seem favorable for keeping up progress in adding muscle.

My goal is to lose fat AND add muscle.

So I last week I talked about measuring if I was in ketosis as a way of ensuring the fat loss part worked better.

Then rotating that after I learned how to do it well each month with periods where I ate more protein and worked to gain muscle might work better.

Since last week I got two interesting pieces of information:

1.  Mike Matthews has been successful both personally and with his many clients in helping people BOTH lose fat and add muscle.

So when I saw he had a podcast discussing whether or not doing so would benefit by eating a very low carb diet and using ketosis, I made time to watch it and take notes as well as I could.

He did his usual first rate and thorough job!  He makes a case that eating a very low carb diet and using ketosis is NOT needed to lose fat and gain muscle. Nor is it the best way to do so.

He also said that there are some medical conditions that DO work best by using a very low carb high good fat and reduced protein diet that produces ketosis.

His protocol for losing fat while maintaining or gaining muscle is to KEEP the high protein intake and while restricting carbohydrate foods and overall calories enough to cut calories 25% below what a person uses.

His method has worked for him and his clients.  But it is lower carb rather than almost no carb and not aimed at producing ketosis.  AND it supports the overall goal of adding muscle or at least keeping it by maintaining 100% of the high protein intake at the same time.

To access Mike’s Podcast directly go to:

I like that he includes the medical uses for which the ketogenic diet IS the best method:

For type 2 diabetes and later stage Alzheimer’s disease which are caused by significant problems with excess carbohydrate and or with processing carbohydrate ketogenic eating enables you to function well powering yourself and your brain while allowing your ability to process carbs to recover or you to heal without needing any carbs at all.

Your brain can run on ketones only while cancer cells must have glucose.  So if you stay in ketosis when you have cancer you are directly helping starve the cancer cells to death!

(With MS & Parkinson’s disease removing the things in your diet that cause them as you eat a ketogenic diet is effective.  But the work I’ve seen suggests that maintaining that removal is curative while also being in ketosis may not be needed.)

So my current plan is to try Mike Matthews’ method combined ensuring the calorie cut back by fasting each day of that 6 day week from 3 pm to when I have breakfast at 6 am.

None of my four week protocol will cut my high protein intake or cut out any of my whole milk & whey from grass fed cows in my high protein breakfast. 

But to make the first of the four weeks lower in carbs and calories, I’ll take extra bilberry extract and have no fruit at breakfast as I usually do.

The second week will maintain the 3 pm to 6 am fast and other carbohydrate restriction but will add back the fruit at breakfast.

Then I’ll do two weeks where I eat normally with more calories and carbs when I’ll focus most on adding muscle.

What if that fails to remove fat or keep it off?

The first thing I’ll try is to use that same protocol but do the first version for two weeks instead of one and the second version for two weeks instead of one.

2.  What if that fails?

The second piece of information is exact proof that ketogenic eating DOES produce the fat loss and inches lost from your waist that is my fat loss goal.

I’ll simply adopt ketogenic eating until I get to my fat loss goals.  THEN I’ll try to find a protocol that enables me to add more protein and gain muscle without gaining the fat back!

Here’s what I found!

The personal blog of Peter Attia, M.D   http://eatingacademy.com/   http://eatingacademy.com/dr-peter-attia  http://eatingacademy.com/how-i-lost-weight
“At the outset, I weighed 195 pounds, of which just over 20% was fat –about 40 pounds. My waist was 36 inches. My goal was to reduce my waist to 32 inches and I calculated I would need to lose 20 pounds of fat, without losing any muscle mass, to do this. So this defined my targets: 175 pounds, 11% body fat, 32-inch waist.”

This is almost identical to my goal to lose enough fat to remove at least 4 inches from my waist and reduce my percentage of bodyfat from 22% to 9 or 10%.

As his graph shows, ketogenic eating did the job and a bit extra!

He lost 25 pounds and five inches from his waist!

So, it’s clear that ketogenic eating might do the same for me if my Mike Matthews protocol does not!

3.  That said my preference is to do it Mike Matthews style because of some drawbacks to ketogenic eating.

Here are my notes on the Nutrition Authority article I read on ketogenic eating:

"Staple foods on a ketogenic diet include meat, fish, butter, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, oils, nuts, avocados, seeds and low-carb vegetables.

In contrast, nearly all carb sources are eliminated, including grains, rice, beans, potatoes, sweets, milk, cereals, fruits and even some higher-carb vegetables."

1.  If the foods in the ketogenic diet are organic, nonGMO, & or wild caught or fed only organic, nonGMO foods in their natural diet and NOT given routine antibiotics the foods on this list are health supporting to eat, particularly wild caught fish and avocados and low carb vegetables.  

Otherwise they may NOT be safe to eat and can even have ingredients that stop or slow fat loss such as harmful and fattening bacteria.  

It's also important to only include extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil in the oils and completely avoid the omega 6 oils that are health harmful and even contain some hydrogenated fats and harmful chemicals such as canola, corn, soy, safflower, and peanut oils.

2.  The grains, rice,  nonorganic potatoes, sweets, cereals, and the packaged foods and regular and diet soft drinks not listed which are also eliminated ALSO have powerful health harming ingredients and are best never eaten or drunk at all by anyone!  

They each fatten and harm whether someone is on a ketogenic diet or not!

Milk if it's whole, not homogenized and from cows fed only their natural diet from unpolluted organic nonGMO sources, beans, quinoa, chilled cooked organic potatoes, and the high carotene starchy vegetables if organic such as yams and red & orange & yellow squash -- and beans, particularly lentils, can each be health supporting however.  

Cow’s milk is also anabolic for people adding strength and muscle or ensuring they keep it. And, the whey from such milk is even more anabolic in part because its protein profile is the same as human proteins; and the high leucine content in it is particularly anabolic.

Most important, whole fresh fruit if organic when eaten daily is hugely protective reducing the rates of BOTH kinds of strokes. It’s very powerful and is the most effective way to prevent strokes. 

Of course eating fruit daily works best for stroke protection if you also ensure your heart attack protection is very high without taking statin drugs. 

(Interestingly, I found Dr Peter Attia’s ketogenic eating for fat loss by reading an excellent article on his analysis of what blood markers to aim for to prevent heart attacks on Medical News Today.  My post last Tuesday and its part two next Tuesday have ways to increase the beneficial HDL & lower triglycerides that do the reduction of small particle LDL that he also explains is most protective.)

So the only way to keep this benefit on a ketogenic or very low carb diet is to take fruit concentrate supplements.  Mercifully there ARE many good ones:  Bilberry, cherry, elderberry, & cranberry concentrates are all available & have robust health benefits.  I take all hose daily even when I have real whole fresh fruit too!

Hybrid wheat that has been refined and even lightly ground whole hybrid wheat is both directly harmful and boosts blood sugar MORE than high fructose corn syrup.  

Its high omega 6 oil content is harmful because it too is so pro-inflammatory.  

Worse this wheat is grown with herbicides and pesticides that are bioconcentrated in the omega 6 oils.  


Not only must all hybrid wheat be removed to achieve a ketogenic diet, no one who knows its health effects should eat ANY ideally ever at any time!  

Labels: , ,

45 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your
blog posts. After all I will be subscribing
to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I?m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. All
the best

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this weblog to take newest updates, therefore where
can i do it please help.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
Very helpful information specially the remaining part :) I maintain such info much.
I was seeking this certain information for a
long time. Thank you and best of luck.

5:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for the wish to subcribe to my posts! I'm beginning to get enough traffic I need to automate an email sign up. That won't happen for a bit though.

Until then, because I post on a weekly schedule -- usually Tueday & Friday each week,
simply put on your calendar to check my blog each Friday by going to it at:

https://iehealth.blogspot.com

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am extremely inspired together with your writing abilities as smartly as with the format
to your weblog. Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself?
Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's uncommon to see a great blog like
this one nowadays.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent work over again! Thank you!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to find knowledgeable people about this subject, however,
you seem like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice article, just what I needed.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't refrain from commenting. Well written!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You're a very professional blogger.
I have joined your feed and sit up for looking for more of your excellent post.

Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks!

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really glad to glance at this web site posts
which includes tons of valuable data, thanks
for providing such statistics.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
He was once totally right. This post truly made my day.
You can not consider simply how much time I had spent for this info!
Thank you!

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful blogs on the net.
I will recommend this blog!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic post.Ne'er knew this, thanks for letting me know.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe everything posted was actually very reasonable.
But, think about this, what if you composed a catchier title?
I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your website, but suppose you added a post title that makes people desire more?
I mean Untitled is a little vanilla. You might peek at
Yahoo's front page and watch how they create article titles to grab viewers to open the links.

You might add a video or a related picture
or two to grab readers excited about everything've written. Just my opinion, it might
make your posts a little livelier.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah bookmaking this wasn't a risky decision great post!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's definately a lot to learn about this topic. I love all the points you've made.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This information is invaluable. Where can I find out more?

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some genuinely interesting points you have written.Helped
me a lot, just what I was searching for :D.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this weblog it's a master piece! Glad I noticed this on google.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. fantastic job. I did not imagine this. This is a remarkable story.
Thanks!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am permanently exploring online for articles that can help me.

Thank you

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think other website owners should take
this web site as an example, very clean and superb user friendly style
and design.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this internet site because so much useful material on here :D.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got what you intend,saved to bookmarks, very decent web site.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got what you intend,saved to my bookmarks, very nice web site.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.This article was really interesting, especially because
I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last couple of
days.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web site is so cool.

I'm impressed by the details that you've on this web site.
It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page,
will come back for extra articles. You, my
pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched all over the place and just couldn't come across.

What a perfect website.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This can be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject.
Basically Great. I am also an expert in this topic therefore I
can understand your effort.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got this website from my pal who shared with
me about this website and now this time I am browsing this web page and reading very informative articles at this
place.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nice design and good written content, very little
else we need :D.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After looking at a few of the blog posts on your web site, I really like your
way of blogging. I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.

Please visit my web site as well and let me know
how you feel.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally someone writes about prevent aging.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure the place you're getting your info, however good topic.
I must spend some time studying more or working out more.
Thanks for fantastic information I was searching for this info for my mission.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good post. I am dealing with a few of these issues as well..

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one's website, maintain up the nice operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this weblog so much, bookmarked.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This web site definitely has all the info I needed concerning this subject and didn?t know who to ask.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful ..
I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I am happy to search out numerous helpful
information here in the publish, we need work out more strategies on this regard, thank you
for sharing.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep working ,great job!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you! I continually wanted to write on my blog something
like that. Can I include a fragment of your
post to my website?

5:06 AM  
Blogger David said...

Probably.

If you use a direct quote taken from this post, please put it in quotation marks and say it came from Focus on Your Health at https://iehealth.blogspot.com .

Even if you rephrase something in your own words, if you use something that I say is safe or safer only if a second thing is done, please include that part.

But I'd be delighted for you to do so if you follow those two guidelines.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I found this web site I went on reddit to
share some of the love with them.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being my own teacher on this niche. My partner and i enjoyed the article very much and most of all cherished how you handled the areas
I regarded as being controversial. You are always incredibly kind to readers really like me
and let me in my living. Thank you.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home