Monday, October 16, 2006

Feel like skipping exercise? Try this….

Welcome to our health & self help blog.

Focus on Your Health:

In it we post health commentary & reviews of books, eBooks, & other things that improve or protect your health or which enable you to live longer, to be more prosperous, & to be more effective.

Today's post: Monday, 10-16-2006

Feel like skipping exercise? Try this….

Jon Benson, exercise expert & author of Fit Over 40, sent me an email with this idea.:

(I subscribe to his free eLetter.)

“When You Don't Feel Like Going To The Gym...Do This
------------------------------------------------------

A lot of people probably think I go to the gym on auto-pilot. This is not always the case.

In fact, tonight was a prime example of...(see if you can relate)

-- Had every intention of working out in the early afternoon (when I usually train)

-- Got caught up in work mode

-- Ended up not eating my meal on time...and workout time turned into chow time

-- The hours crept on by until it was...you guessed it...dinner time

-- "Can't train this late" ran through my mind

It was almost a workout aborted. One of these is no big deal...but one turns into two,
which can turn into dozens.

That's a big deal.

So, here's what I did -- despite the fact that I really do 'not' like to workout at night...
especially legs.

I used "secret weapon number 1" -- I told myself, "Okay, Jon...just do a 'sissy workout'.
Just enough to say you did something. Don't even TRY to train hard!"

All of a sudden, the gym became...shall we say..."easier to find."

At first, I did just what I told myself – kept it really light. Then, sure enough, after the
initial warm-ups and so-forth, the iron bug bit me.

I wanted more.

I ended up breaking a personal best in a new movement I'm using.

I then did used the same trick for my post-workout walk. "Just up to the end of the street and back...enough to say I did it."

I walked much further...gladly.

The secret is two-fold. First, use your mind to your advantage. In a way, this is typical 'reverse psychology.'

Once you tell yourself, "I'm only going to do X", then "XX" becomes a bonus. "X" is still acceptable, so either way you come out ahead.

Second, the majority of the time when you do not 'feel' like workout out, you're
really feeling something else.

Distracted, busy, lethargic...it really does not have much to do with your actual
workout session.

Go with it -- tell yourself you'll do a "busy person's workout"...and watch what
happens.

Chances are you'll find your groove, and then do the "human" thing -- rebel against
your own plan. "I'll show ME!"

It's kinda funny, but believe it -- this will save you dozens and dozens of missed
workouts in the year.

You may even get a personal best or two.

Remember, all you have to do is tell yourself that you're going to do "something".
Heck, I've even said to myself, "Look, I'll just drive to the gym and look around!"

Seriously -- this works. Chances are you will get to the gym, look around, decide
to "pick up something" while you're there...and the next thing you know...personal best!”

Jon’s method really works:

Jon’s method works even when you really can’t do a full work out !! Here’s what just happened to me.:

As you know if you read this blog about ideas on fighting colds & flu a few days ago, I just got over a really bad cold.

I knew that if I did my regular work out at home, I’d get sicker. And, I knew that if I went to the gym, I’d expose others there.

So, I did skip going to the gym. But, by only doing my most important exercises at home, &, by doing those initially with both much lighter weights, & with about 20 to 50 percent less repetitions I only had to totally skip one workout the whole time I was sick. And, by doing a bit more each day, this morning I was back up to my regular work out.

And, I’ll be back at the gym tonight. However, since I do a heavier work out there, I’ll do fewer reps this time to get back to speed without a setback either with my cold or by injury.

I’ve also used Jon’s method when I was too rushed to be able to do a whole work out or when I simply wasn’t up to it.

He’s also right that if you are physically well, you’ll often find you can do your regular work out once you do the first easier set or two.

Here’s Jon’s ending comment.:

“Now, I bet you want to know more of these "secret weapons". Well, my book is full of
them.

And, right now, you can get five FREEE e-books along with my e-book, all for the
same price.

Go see – “ http://www.fitover40.com/aff/iehealth

Or, if you need inspiration or some ideas on an exercise plan that fits you you, read this:

Exercise expert Jon Benson has co-authored an ebook that has some guidelines on how to get good results from exercise.

But, here’s the exciting thing about his book:

He also has tons of people of both sexes & many ages who got well -- & discarded excess fat – by exercising -- tell their stories of how they got into exercise & what exactly they do in their exercise programs. It also has their very good results. Some got incredibly good results.

There are enough role models & ideas you are virtually certain to find one or several that are enough similar to you that you can do it too & see exactly how people who are like you & started where you are or maybe even at a worse level were able to do it.

Does that sound like it’s worth checking out?

If so, here’s more information on Jon’s book. See: http://www.fitover40.com/aff/iehealth

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:16 AM  
Blogger David said...

On comment 1. I got set up with Blogger.com since then and no longer allow off topic ad comments.

But comment 2 is a fun pun and skipping rope is a great way to work out. The rest of their site is exercise related too.

Skipping or jumping rope is a great exercise for three reasons.

If you feel like not working out, you can jump rope at home and just do one set unless you find you then want to do more. So, this is a great fit for this post.

Jumping rope is such an effective exercise too that if you do miss a session a few times a month you will still be fit as long as you do it most times.

But there's more! You can do one brief set of jumping rope fast enough to get you out of breath in just one minute or less. Then you can rest for two minutes or so and do a second set and rest for two minutes or a bit more as needed and do a third set.

I do that two evenings a week. All 3 sets only take me 5 minutes total. And the whole session from getting home from work to jumping rope dressed for it to changing into what I wear at home takes 15 minutes only.

AND, that interval cardio has put me into such great cardiovascular shape I've set much improved personal records in the longer sessions I do on the weekend with my Nordic Track.

I could even emulate Jon Benson's 7 Minute Muscle title and call my work out 5 minute fitness!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home