Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Older now? This might improve your quality of life….

Welcome to our health & self help blog.

Focus on Your Health:

In it we post health commentary & reviews of books, eBooks, & other things that improve or protect your health or which enable you to live longer, to be more prosperous, & to be more effective.

Today's post: Wednesday, 9-20-2006

Older now? This might improve your quality of life….

Are you over 50? AND:

Do you have less energy than you’d like?

Are you getting by on not enough sleep most nights?

Are you depressed at times?

Do you occasionally have problems with insomnia?

Do feel fried & depleted some afternoons & not just sleepy?

Do you need more than coffee to feel as energetic as you’d like?

If you answered yes to any of these my recent experience may interest you.

First, if any of these are really bad, you may have a disease & should see a doctor to get checked out because many of these can be due to diseases or medical conditions. And, if they are diagnosed & treated properly, can be cured or made much better.

Also, some medications can cause these reactions; & your doctor may need to adjust your dose or change to a different drug in your case.

But, if you are like me & you know you are short on sleep most days; &, if none of these is severe, you may just attribute it to being short on sleep or to getting older or both.

If so, what I discovered in my recent experience may be worth trying in your case.

I’d been under some extra stress over the past several months & noticed I was getting headaches, particularly first thing in the morning.

Since that can be a sign of high blood pressure; I hadn’t had mine checked in several months, & I had been under that extra stress during those months, I decided to have mine checked.

I went to a free blood pressure checking machine in our local Safeway.

Even though it may read a little on the high side if your blood pressure is higher than the desirable range, I was concerned to find I was just below the levels where doctors would prescribe drugs to bring it down.

(This machine, if your blood pressure is more than a bit above the desirable range, squeezes your arm like it’s been put in a vise; & that hurts enough it may add a few points to your reading.)

Even discounting that though, I wanted to bring it down to more desirable levels.

In Dr Stephen Sinatra’s recent book on lowering high blood pressure, he quotes a study that found that taking 100 mg of CoQ10 early in the day & again at about mid-day each day lowered the Systolic or large & listed first reading in that group by about 17 points.

And, he says many people have reported to him that they begin to have a much higher energy level if they take CoQ10.

As I wanted my blood pressure reading to come down by about that much, I decided to try the 100 mg of CoQ10 twice a day as described in that study – even though I was already taking 60 mg of CoQ10 each day with my breakfast.

Once my first week of this is up, I’ll check to see if it’s worked for me to lower my blood pressure.

But since I was already taking some CoQ10 & haven’t been getting enough sleep, it really didn’t occur to me I’d get any energy boost.

And, I didn’t over this past week-end -- on the first two days I took the added 200 mg of CoQ10.

Then, on Monday, when I have usually been really trashed from getting up three hours earlier than on Saturday & Sunday, particularly in the afternoon, I hardly even noticed feeling sleepy or tired & almost didn’t need my early afternoon tea.

And, I noticed my mood & energy level were better than on most days. It wasn’t a lot; & I didn’t feel any kind of buzz or stimulation. But it was enough to really improve how I felt that day.

And, when I felt that much better on a Monday, when I normally have been feeling quite a bit worse, it really got my attention.

And, I felt better yesterday & so far today also.

I completely understand this may be a placebo effect.

But, since CoQ10 IS known to increase the energy in each of the cells of the people taking it by helping each of their cells’ mitochondria function at their best, it may well be a real effect & be 100 percent due to the added CoQ10.

I feel enough better that I plan to keep taking it if I possibly can.

And, if you answered yes to some of the questions above, you might want to consider trying it also.

As author, Dr Maxwell Maltz once wrote, that’s an experimental question. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it & see.

And, it doesn’t hurt that CoQ10 in that amount improves the strength & health of your heart as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home