Thursday, September 21, 2006

Want help turning down office goodies?

Welcome to our health & self help blog.

Focus on Your Health:

In it we post health commentary & reviews of books, eBooks, & other things that improve or protect your health or which enable you to live longer, to be more prosperous, & to be more effective.

Today's post: Thursday, 9-21-2006

Want help turning down office goodies?

In many, perhaps most, offices that Americans work in today, it’s quite common for a manager or a co-worker to bring in “goodies” on a regular or frequent basis.

That happened at my day job yesterday.

There were 12 giant sized muffins & three large sweet rolls cut in half for 6 more treats.

Of these 18 goodies, half a muffin was left this morning.

I passed.

And, I thought it might help some of you to know both why I did & how I was easily able to do so.

First, you should know that I would have been tempted otherwise.

I actually like celebrations & sweet treats. When I was growing up I loved the frosting on cakes & often would get a piece & just eat the frosting & the little bit of cake that stuck to it.

And, I really like it when someone provides something I like as treat.

Why did I pass?

1. I saw that these were commercially baked. And I no longer ever eat such things unless I’m really starving. And even then I eat as little as I can stand even if it is something I like & tastes good.

2. The way I eat now, I enjoy my food; it fills me up; & I simply wasn’t hungry.

Here’s the details.

1. At this writing, virtually all commercially baked goodies tend to overdo sugar & they almost always use ONLY refined flour to make them.

And, just that alone means that you should eat such things maybe twice or three times or less if you don’t want to be fat or develop health problems.

(I prefer to use my few times a week on a bit of brown sugar on my Oatmeal twice a week & a large Hershey Chocolate bar with almonds once a week.

So I only allow myself more in very special circumstances a few times a year.)

But it gets worse from there. Virtually all commercially baked goods today contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (transfats) &/or high fructose corn syrup.

The safe amount of those two to eat is absolutely none at all. So, if I know either is in a food, I simply won’t eat it. I know better.

Am short on time today, so will post the rest of this next time.

(I saved the muffin label & its list of ingredients. There were several more ingredients in them probably best left uneaten, particularly in foods frequently eaten.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home