Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lose weight permanently by doing it without hunger

Welcome to our health & self help blog.

Focus on Your Health:

In it we post health commentary & reviews of books, eBooks, & other things that improve or protect your health or which enable you to live longer, to be more prosperous, & to be more effective.

Today's post: Thursday, 1-18-2007

Lose weight permanently by doing it without hunger….

A local woman columnist wrote a column on how she realized she should exercise more & take in less calories. But she said she found it hard to push herself away from the table or eat small portions or deny herself food when she had such strong urges to eat.

I was concerned for her since denying yourself food when you are actually hungry, if it works at all to lose excess fat or lose weight, it almost never works to keep it off.

So I emailed her these key secrets to permanent weight loss & taking off excess fat.

(There are many others. But these are some of the most effective ones. And, she is far more likely to lose fat she keeps off if she uses them instead of denying herself food when she is hungry.)

In order to lose fat & keep it off you do have to burn more calories than you take in initially & not take in more than you burn after that.

That's true.

But the very urge to eat she wrote about makes it hard to impossible to do that permanently for people by "pushing yourself away from the table."

My wife is a history buff & can tell you about some of the events in European history to prove it. But it's quite clear that almost all people today are the descendants of the people who liked to eat when food was available & who tended to eat more when stressed if the food was there to eat. The people who weren’t like that didn’t survive the famines. So most of us are NOT descended from them.

So to make keeping fat off permanently, you have to work out how to eat more or at least not too much less & still not take in more calories than you burn--& you have to do it without feeling hungry.

Mercifully that turns out to be doable.

If you eat protein foods you get a double benefit because processing protein foods is proven to burn up more calories than carbohydrates; & they also make you feel full & fed longer after you eat them.

Even better, the plant based protein foods like beans & nuts have lots of fiber which also helps you feel full. And, nuts also have health-enhancing fats & are satisfying enough they are proven to prevent you from eating other foods enough they are net calorie neutral to eat even with their high fat content.

Other protein foods in moderation that are health-OK include: eggs in moderation; wild caught salmon & sardines; other seafood like shrimp, crab, lobster, & oysters; grass fed ONLY beef & buffalo; & free range chicken & turkey.

I lost 30 pounds & kept it off when I read that Weight Watchers' research has found that green & other nonstarchy vegetables have zero effective calories. Since I knew that vegetables have huge health benefits & that I was eating very few each day, I added just two or three servings MORE each day.

What I found was that this was the biggest secret to weight loss. I'd have a serving of my main protein dish which usually also had health Ok fats like wild caught salmon or beans with extra virgin olive oil & tomato sauce -- & a serving of my cooked broccoli.

This enabled me to be full & satisfied with just that as I was simply no longer hungry.

What I realized was causing the fat loss was that I was no longer eating two servings of main dish or a serving of main dish & dessert that I'd been hungry for before.

So, without making myself stop eating while I was still hungry, I was taking in less calories & was eating more health-enhancing micronutrients.

Since it wasn't that hard, I have simply kept doing it.

The other two things I do that kept me from being really fat in the first place in my sedentary work are:

1. to do a short strength training session several times a week alternating between leg exercise one day & upper body exercise the next & a vigorous session of cardio exercise on 3 nonconsecutive days each week.

So, I burn a LOT more calories -- between the calories burned directly by the exercise & the calories burned by the heavier, more dense muscles it has given me -- than someone my age & height would burn who had similar work.

So, I can literally eat MORE & not fatten up.

2. I never got into the habit of drinking soda or eating junk snack foods. And, I weaned myself away from all refined grains & most sugar.

Those foods are all proven fatteners as they have virtually no fiber or real nutrition so you take in their calories fine but you don't feel less hungry.

It's also helped me stay away from them as I've read of the research on how bad transfats & high fructose corn syrup are for your health.

I hope she finds that helpful. And, I hope it is helpful for you also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home