Thursday, March 03, 2011

Two ways to make very lean meat tender and one to make it tasty....

Today's Post: Thursday, 3-3-2011


There are 3 reasons to want to use very lean meat.

1. Game animals and those fed only grass or their natural foods produce meat that is less likely to make you fat or harm your health. That’s because they don’t eat the starches in corn and other grains nor the excess omega 6 oils in corn or the herbicides and pesticides in the grain. They also move around a lot unlike the cattle and other animals purposely penned up in feed lots or stalls to fatten them.

So, these meats are quite lean. They not only have far less omega oils and less saturated fat, they have less total fat too.

2. Most of the health harming things in the meat from grain and factory farm fed animals is in the fat. So if you buy leaner cuts, and trim all the visible fat and then do it a second time, you avoid most of the excess saturated fat, excess omega 6 oils, and the bioconcentrated herbicides and pesticides too as most of those are in the fat. It also may make sense to cook such meats in two stages and pour off the fat that can be drained off after the first stage before doing the final cooking or cooking with other ingredients you intend to eat to remove more of the fat.

But you wind up with very lean meat when you do that.

3. One of the reasons animals are penned to fatten them is to make them tender due to the higher fat content. So, until now, fattier cuts have cost more. So, if you buy the cheaper cuts to save money – which a lot of people are now doing, again you get leaner cuts of meat.

But you can cook lean meats in a way that makes them tender instead of like eating very tough leather.

I. One way that does the job and makes cooking meat or dishes with meat as a key ingredient is to use a Crockpot or other “slow cooker.” This has two other advantages too. It is much more time efficient for busy people who work as the meat or meat dish can be slow cooking while you are at work. It also avoids the potentially carcinogenic by products of cooking with high heat and also cooks the meat thoroughly to kill off any bacteria or harmful life forms in the meat without making the meat tough.

But, with such lean meats, even though slow cooking makes them tender enough to eat without having to chew forever, it still leaves the meat a bit less tender than you might like.

II. But that problem has been solved too!

With grass fed beef or lamb or bison or game, there is a device you can use before cooking that does the job.

And, with grain fed meat and cheaper cuts of grain fed meat, using this device before the first stage of cooking not only makes the end result a good bit more tender, it allows more fat to be cooked off and drained before you finish cooking the meat in stage 2.

I’m indebted to Chef Narsai David and his cooking feature that is sometimes on radio station KCBS in San Francisco for this one.

He heard of this device; tested it and found it works great; and did a feature on it.

It’s called the Impressor by Butcher’s Kitchen. http://butcherskitchen.com is the website where it’s sold for $69.99. And they also have videos so you can see how to use it. It’s essentially a way to use a grid of tiny piercing knife blades to cut the fibers of the meat and make multiple small holes in it.

So, if you know these reasons to use lean meat and want to enjoy eating meat occasionally each month and every month, this is a really good tool to use.

As I remember, when Narsai David got the excellent results with it, he used it all over the piece of meat either twice or three times rather than once.

But the results he got were well worth it.

III. The other problem with lean meat is that many of the flavors that make it taste so good such as onion and garlic and other spices work best when they blend into and are carried by fats and oils. But, with lean cuts of meat or lean cuts you have trimmed or cooked part of the remaining fat from, these flavoring effects are reduced.

That’s easily solved by including some extra virgin olive oil in the cooking process. This oil has many documented health benefits instead of health harms; but it works as well or better carrying and blending with these flavors to make the meat it’s cooked with taste good.

Labels: , , , ,

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.This post was extremely interesting, particularly because I was
searching for thoughts on this matter last Sunday.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and stay up for seeking more of your wonderful post.
Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the efforts you have put in this, thank you for all the great posts.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on working, great job!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful ..
I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?I'm glad to search out so many helpful information here
in the submit, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see something truly special in this internet site.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good info. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I have bookmarked it for later!

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep functioning ,terrific job!

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.

Your site provided us with valuable information to work on. You've performed a formidable process and our whole
neighborhood might be thankful to you.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My spouse and i still cannot quite believe I could often be one of those reading through the
important ideas found on this blog. My family and I are sincerely thankful for the generosity and for providing me
the potential to pursue my personal chosen career path.
Thanks for the important information I managed to get from your website.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah bookmaking this wasn't a bad decision great post!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great content.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely just what I was looking for. Thanks to the author
for taking his time on this one.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always emailed this blog post page to all my contacts,
because if like to read it next my contacts will too.

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have brought up a very superb points, regards for the post.

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance,
and I am shocked why this twist of fate did not took place in advance!
I bookmarked it.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my blog thus i came to ?return the favor?.I am trying to in finding issues to improve my website!I assume its ok to use a
few of your concepts!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger David said...

On using the ideas in my posts:

1. I try my best to include information that will help people get or stay healthy AND is accurate and in usable form.

If I succeed the things I post on will help people get or stay healthy AND are accurate and in usable form.

Those things are true and potentially findable whether I posted them or not. And they will help people, so feel free to share the information however you like.

2. That said, if you want to quote things I've written directly, please include the URL of the post and that our blog is called Focus on Your Health -- and our other posts are available at:

https:// iehealth.blogspot.com by copying it; then removing the spaces between
https:// & iehealth.blogspot.com & pasting the result in your browser.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely written articles, Really enjoyed examining.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some genuinely quality blog posts on this website, saved
to bookmarks.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who was conducting
a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner because I discovered it
for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!
But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this topic here
on your website.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this blog it's a master piece! Glad I detected this on google.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would like to thank you yet again for the stunning ideas you offered Jeremy when preparing a post-graduate research in addition to, most importantly, pertaining to providing all the ideas in one blog post.
In case we had known of your web site a year ago, we
may have been saved the needless measures we were implementing.
Thanks to you.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! This blog post couldn't be written much better!
Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He continually kept talking about this. I'll send
this information to him. Pretty sure he's going to have a great read.
Thank you for sharing!

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading out a few of your articles and i must say
pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your website.

4:23 PM  
Blogger David said...

OK to share my blog and its web address with your Facebook group. David

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had been honored to receive a call coming from a friend when he discovered the important points shared on your
own site. Reading through your blog post is a real great experience.

Thank you for taking into account readers just like me, and I
wish you the best of achievements as being a professional in this field.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I read your new stuff daily. Your writing style is witty, keep it up!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague
who had been doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me breakfast simply because I found it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this subject here on your internet site.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just want to give you a huge thumbs up for your great info you
have got here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you have mentioned some very interesting details, regards for the post.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I genuinely appreciate your piece of work, Great post.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home