Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My personal, monthly, progress report on my fatloss...

Today's Post: Tuesday, 2-22-2011


1. The past month my weight remained exactly the same; and I gained a quarter inch on my waist. So, I’m now one pound over my goal weight; &, at 38 & a half inches, I’m still 4 to 6 inches over what I’d like to see on my waist measurement.

That’s actually very good news & MUCH better than I expected!

Here’s why.:

I ate more often at restaurants over the past month; and I drank more than my target of 9.5 drinks a week. And, due to my arm injury and off and on again mild cold or flu, I was able to get less exercise over the past month than I schedule myself for.

People who do these things can gain over 5 pounds in a month.

2. Why didn’t that happen to me?

There are several reasons.:

Even though I drank extra while watching the SuperBowl and at not one but two restaurant meals for my birthday, The other days of each week I drank what I was supposed to. So the totals were not as bad as if I did that every day!

I ate mostly the protein and produce part of the restaurant meals at real restaurants instead of fast food places. And, I passed on 95% of the refined grain bread and all of the rice.

I also ate exactly the every other day no grain, lower calorie breakfasts each day I was supposed to and kept up all the other small calorie cuts I added.

Plus, I finally was able to become consistent on adding a tablespoon of vinegar each day by including it each evening as my last “supplement” and taking it right after my other evening supplements.

Even though I did have some days I thought it wise to do less by a bit on my early morning exercises, I did them every day except one even though I did have the off and on again mild cold or flu a good part of the month. So, even though many of my evening sessions on Monday & Weds evenings did get cancelled, my weekly totals for exercise only dropped off by 5 to 9 %.

Even better, I got two key pieces of information.:

The Physical Therapist who actually knows arm injuries and how to rehab them verified what exercise NOT to do; found my left arm IS healing well; & I CAN begin to add weight for my left arm safely and still have it heal.

In addition, I got two pieces of information on how to make my muscles grow and get stronger. Only do those sets once a week on the day where I have two days off to recover – NOT on the days where I only have one recovery day. And, after a few reps of warm up, do far fewer reps but in super slow motion both up and down. I could feel the difference & may have cancelled out some fat gain by adding muscle. One source said that each pound of muscle gained tends to cause a loss of 1.3 to 1.7 pounds of fat. So gaining 3 pounds of muscle nets out an extra 1 or two pounds of weight loss. That means if this style of exercise caused me to gain 6 pounds of muscle, that saved me from gaining two to four pounds on the scale this month.

But the news from this is FAR more promising than that. As I do more and more of this kind of exercise, I may well see enough muscle gain to finally take inches off my waist!

3. My left arm injury that has prevented my progress in increasing my calories burned each week and pounds of muscle did not get a lot better last month. BUT, that was because I DID push it more by using the next heavier dumbbell. Once it is OK with that, I’ll be able to go to my original weight I was using before the injury.

(The Physical Therapist I consulted also let me know that a doctor specializing in one of the 3 ways to speed such healing without taking anabolic steroids is practicing in the city where I live! So, I now have a back up to speed up or keep up my healing of my left arm if I do wind up needing it.)

The kettlebell exercises I’ve had to partly discontinue and not been able to progress in WERE working. I was getting vigorous exercise that was burning more calories than just the rest of my exercises without it. And, had I not injured my arm, I’d be likely doing three or four times that much by now. Plus, when you exercise a muscle in a way that will build it up, you can feel it in the muscle; and I was getting that feeling before I injured my left arm.

Soon I will be able resume those and build up to that level which will add more muscle & which WILL remove inches from my waist!

4. Lastly, ideally, by this time next year, I’ll have managed to do both -- get back to the kettlebell exercises AND add more weight in the other strength training exercises I already do. If I can burn more calories a week directly from using the kettle bell and burn even more by adding up to 20 pounds more muscle, my waist is likely to lose a few of the inches I need to take off of it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home