Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Vitamin C may slow aging:

Welcome to our health & self help blog.

In it we post health commentary & reviews of books, eBooks, & other things that improve or protect your health or which enable you to live longer, to be more prosperous, & to be more effective.

Today's post: Wednesday, 8-9-2006

Vitamin C may slow aging:

Researchers have found that, physically, aging is created at the most basic level by fraying at the ends of the DNA in human cells. These ends are called telomeres.

So, as they get shorter, the copies a person’s body makes become less of a correct copy.

And, at some point, either the copying process breaks down or the copies become too flawed to sustain life & death from aging results.

So, if you can keep your telomeres as long as possible, you’ll both age less & live longer. And, the less aging you experience, the better your health will be.

Therefore, anything that helps you keep your telomeres from shortening is well worth doing.

Earlier this morning, I read the health article in an online newsletter I get.

In it, Dr. Al Sears reports that in sufficient amounts, vitamin C has been proven to slow the process of telomere shortening by 62 percent.

Wow !!

That is a HUGE difference.

So, in addition to taking a good multivitamin plus mineral tablet & whatever other supplements you take now, you might want to consider taking an additional 500 mg of vitamin C twice a day. (I take 1,050 mg at breakfast. But, 500 mg of that is NatureMade’s time release supplement.)

Unless of course, you aren’t already doing that.

There’s more. I may have personally experienced this effect. Since I’ve been taking that much vitamin C for at least the second half of my life, I’ve gradually found I look a lot younger than many people my age.

At 62, my hair is still mostly its original color; & I have few if any wrinkles.

I’d presumed that it was the other vitamins I’ve taken or that I usually wear a hat when I’m outside in the sun or lucky heredity. And, I am certain NOT smoking helped.

And, of course, any or all of these things may be the case.

But the magnitude of this effect of vitamin C may well be enough to have done that all by itself.

Needless to say, I’ll never voluntarily quit taking it after learning this.

Also, though I’ve only recently adopted eating lots of fruit & vegetables every day, it’s worth knowing that I might have done even better had I started much earlier.

The best of the fruits & vegetables have many other antioxidants which may have given me quite a bit more protection from aging.

In addition, many of the sources of vitamin C for supplements are mixes of the left handed & right handed forms of vitamin C.

And, as far as I know, only the natural one, which I think is the left handed one, has these effects.

And, ALL of the vitamin C you get from eating lots of fruits & vegetables every day is in the natural form that’s most likely to have this effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home